There are many institutions whose objective is to treat and cure cancers such as mesothelioma. Over the years of representing clients with asbestos-related illnesses, the law firm of Galiher DeRobertis Waxman has come to recognize institutions that have offered exceptional care to our clients.
The City of Hope is among these outstanding cancer treatment and research facilities where patients diagnosed with mesothelioma can find excellent treatment. City of Hope has remained steadfast in its commitment to provide patients with quality care for nearly 100 years, and it is listed as one of 40 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers.
The City of Hope states that “Compassion drives our innovation.” It aims to “give patients the chance to live longer, better and more fully.” Many great institutions like the City of Hope understand that the quality of a patient’s life is as important as preserving life itself, especially when treating a disease like mesothelioma. Institutions like City of Hope have dedicated themselves to providing their patients with state-of-the-art treatments and well-rounded patient support for the mind, body, and soul.
Patient Support at City of Hope
The Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center helps to fulfill the City of Hope’s mission to “care for the whole person.” This resource facility aims to be a model of compassionate care similar to other facilities around the nation.
Here you will find volunteers and professionals offering services that range from psychological consults to palliative care. Pain management specialists, spiritual care providers, peer support groups, nutrition education, and social workers are all available to patients and their families at the Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center. The focus here is “strength, resilience, and hope.”
Services Offered At The City of Hope
- Patient Navigators at The City of HopeThese professionals are available to patients throughout their stay. They help patients and family members get through complicated health care systems and help patients make use of the services available to them. The patient navigators can help patients find interpreters, social workers, and financial counselors. A patient navigator will likely contact a patient before his or her second visit to a City of Hope physician.
- Healing Arts ProgramMany times, patients can find it therapeutic to take part in art classes, writing workshops, or music therapy. These services are offered through the Biller Resource Center and are taught by specially trained artists and therapists.
- Positive Image CenterThe way you look on the outside often affects the way you feel on the inside, and it can often be difficult for cancer patients as certain treatments can result in hair loss, and skin and nail discoloration. At the Positive Image Center, makeup, skin care products and advice are offered along with hats, scarves and wigs for hair loss. The goal here is to improve one’s self-image and self-confidence.
- Nutrition EducationAnyone who has been on a diet knows that nutrition can be a complicated subject. Often times, patients experience a loss of appetite or difference in taste, and others may just want to eat healthier. Here, dietitians help minimize treatment side-effects and help you create nutrition plans after treatment.
- Counseling and SupportFeelings of anxiety and depression often surface after being diagnosed with mesothelioma. The City of Hope screens patients who may benefit from counseling. Psychologists, psychiatrists, and clinical social workers can help patients cope with these feelings that have a lot to do with a patient’s overall health. These services can also help with pain and the common feeling of isolation that so many mesothelioma patients experience.
In addition to these counseling services, the City of Hope offers patient peer pals. This allows patients to be matched with other patients who have gone through an experience with cancer. Sometimes the most comforting feeling comes from listening to someone who has been in your position before.
Galiher DeRobertis Waxman Continues to Support Facilities That Provide Comprehensive Care to Victims of Asbestos-Related Illnesses
Over the years of representing many individuals with asbestos-related illnesses, we have created strong bonds with our clients and their families. We know how devastating a diagnosis of mesothelioma can be. As Ilana Waxman, managing partner of Galiher DeRobertis Waxman says, “We have been greatly moved by the courage our clients display, and we are truly thankful for institutions like the City of Hope that strive to enhance and encourage their patients’ commitment to live longer, healthier, fuller lives.”