For more than 30 years, the law offices of Galiher DeRobertis Waxman has represented victims of mesothelioma and other asbestos-related illnesses. Through our work, we have learned much about mesothelioma and asbestos, and over the years, we have seen significant progress in the treatment and care of mesothelioma patients.
Today, mesothelioma patients’ quality of life is greatly improving. The institutions that specialize in the treatment of mesothelioma are not focused on just the disease itself. Medical professionals today are increasingly focused on trying to maximize the patients’ overall well-being through a comprehensive approach to treatment.
Comprehensive Care of Mesothelioma Patients
Among the many impressive mesothelioma treatment institutions is Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, a treatment center that believes “treating the whole person, not just the disease, is the best approach.” Sloan-Kettering has a team of specialists, including surgeons, scientists, medical oncologist, pathologists and radiation oncologists who aim to provide “experienced, up-to-date, and thoughtful care” of mesothelioma patients.
In addition to great medical care, Sloan-Kettering offers its patients and their families a wide base of support. Sloan-Kettering understands that the emotional toll mesothelioma can have on patients and their family members can be as traumatic as the disease itself.
Support Services at Sloan-Kettering
Sloan-Kettering offers a significant array of support for its patients. The following are some services that are provided for mesothelioma patients at Sloan-Kettering:
- Inpatient Counseling & Support Groups Sloan-Kettering understands that there is no “one-size-fits-all coping style” when it comes to dealing with cancer. Therefore, there are experienced counselors at Sloan-Kettering that are made available to all patients to help them handle any distress they may develop.
- Outpatient Counseling Outpatient counseling at Sloan-Kettering is offered to cancer patients regardless of whether or not they are receiving care at Sloan-Kettering.
- Nutrition At Sloan-Kettering you can request to meet with a certified dietitian-nutritionist who can help you assess certain diets and who can help you eat properly while undergoing treatment. If loss of appetite is a problem, the dietitian can make suggestions of foods necessary for nourishment and energy.
- Symptom Management and Support Sloan-Kettering is dedicated to ensuring that all its patients do not suffer from avoidable discomfort. If a patient is experiencing pain or other symptoms from treatment, Sloan-Kettering has created a Pain and Palliative Care Service that offers help with physical symptoms such as shortness of breath or nausea but also non-physical symptoms such as sadness, anxiety or depression that can lead to pain.
- Extra Help At Home Sloan-Kettering recognizes that after a patient is released, they may need further assistance or they may need certain equipment at home. Therefore, Sloan-Kettering has case managers who are available on each floor that will help patients get the care and supplies they need.
- Complementary Therapies Therapists in the Integrated Medicine Service create services that complement your treatment and are targeted to help the spirit, mind, and body.
- Patient-to-Patient Volunteers Sometimes nothing can be more comforting to a mesothelioma patient than talking with someone who has been through what you are currently experiencing. Sloan-Kettering attempts to match patients with other patients who have been through a similar experience.
- Patient Representatives Patient Representatives are available at Sloan-Kettering. They can help you with any complaints or concerns you may have. They act as your advocate to ensure that your rights are respected and any concerns you may have are addressed.
Better Treatment for Mesothelioma Patients
Over the years, the law firm of Galiher DeRobertis Waxman has worked with many researchers and medical professionals who have made great progress in their search for better treatments and, ultimately, a cure for mesothelioma. Attorney Rick DeRobertis says, “we are pleased to see institutions such as Sloan-Kettering focusing on improving the quality of life of mesothelioma patients, not just focusing on treating the disease. These relatively new approaches to treating the entire patient will no doubt continue to expand and will allow mesothelioma patients to have a higher quality of life while dealing with this disease.”